15 Sep Soccer Insights – September Vol. 3
Derby weekend, Cristiano Ronaldo unstoppable and upcoming UEFA Champions League games. This week’s Soccer Insights:
|Crystal Palace||0-1||Manchester City|
|Leicester City||3-2||Aston Villa|
- Manchester United claimed the Red derby against Liverpool in an intense game. Christian Benteke scored an astonishing overhead kick for Liverpool, while new boy Anthony Martial made his Red Devil debut with his first goal at Old Trafford.
- Manchester City continue to be unbeatable, with full victory record after five games without conceding any goals.
- Chelsea is slowly sinking, their loss to Everton was a huge blow that have many questioning Mourinho’s side.
- Leicester City keep demonstrating a quite surprising form, they came back from a 2-0 score to defeat Aston Villa and jump to the second spot.
|Atlético de Madrid||1-2||Barcelona|
|Rayo Vallecano||1-3||Deportivo de La Coruña|
|Celta de Vigo||3-3||Las Palmas|
|Sporting de Gijón||0-1||Valencia|
|Real Betis||1-0||Real Sociedad|
|3||Celta de Vigo||7pts|
- Cristiano Ronaldo showed he has no confidence problems by scoring five goals in Real Madrid’s victory over Espanyol.
- Barcelona got three decisive points from their visit to Atlético Madrid. Fernando Torres opened the score, just to see Neymar level things a few minutes later. Lionel Messi was the one who made the difference, scoring the winner with 13 minutes left.
- Getafe is the only club that has not made any points after three games, and Sevilla is surprisingly within relegation zone. It’s too early to talk about real danger, but a bad start could be a sign of tough times ahead.
|Hannover 96||2-4||B. Dortmund|
|Bayern Munich||2-1||FC Augsburg|
|Ingolstadt 04||0-0||VFL Wolfsburg|
|Schalke 04||2-1||Mainz 05|
|B. Leverkusen||0-1||SV Darmstadt 98|
|B. Mönchengladbach||0-3||Hamburger SV|
- Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich continue on top of the league with perfect record. It is clear they’re both main candidates for this season title, following a year when Bayern Munich had no competition from Dortmund.
- Frankfurt beat Köln by a overwhelming 6-2 score. This was the game with most goals this weekend in Germany.
- Mönchengladbach and Stuttgart continued their full-losing streak. Augsburg, Hoffenheim and Hannover 96 are the other clubs stuck at the bottom of the table with just one draw each.
|Inter Milan||1-0||AC Milan|
- Inter Milan got a narrow victory against AC Milan at the Derby Della Madonnina. Colombian midfielder Freddy Guarín made the difference with a surprising strike that Diego López could not stop.
- An uncommon set of five consecutive games ended with 2-2 scores on Sunday, being Lazio-Udinese and Inter-Milan the games that did not register the same result.
- Juventus still does not now what it feels to win in the 2015/16 season. The reigning champions had lost their previous two games and just managed to get one point from Chievo Verona.
- Paris Saint-Germain was stopped by Bordeaux in a game where Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani scored twice for the hosts, who could not hold their advantage and conceded a draw.
- Rennes’ good start started giving good results, they are just one point shy from reaching PSG at the top of the table. Both are being closely followed by Reims and St. Etienne.
- Marseille have shown again their offensive power in their 4-1 victory against Bastia. The had defeated Troyes by a 6-0 score a couple of weeks ago.
|Orlando City SC||3-1||Sporting Kansas City|
|Philadelphia Union||1-2||Columbus Crew SC|
|FC Dallas||2-1||New York City FC|
|Houston Dynamo||1-3||Real Salt Lake|
|Colorado Rapids||1-1||D.C. United|
|LA Galaxy||2-0||Montreal Impact|
|San Jose Earthquakes||1-1||Seattle Sounders FC|
|Toronto FC||1-3||New England Revolution|
|New York Red Bulls||3-2||Chicago Fire|
|1||NY Red Bulls||45pts|
- Kei Kamara is unstoppable at Columbus Crew attack. Teh Sierra Leonean player has scored 20 goals this season, and is getting closer to be this year’s MVP according to media.
- Orlando City recovered from their last loss ad defeated Sporting Kansas City with a 3-1 score without Kaká.
- New York City FC got their 14th defeat of the season and are sunken at the bottom of the eastern conference alongside Chicago Fire.
- Pumas sit atop of the general table, with 18 points and better goal difference than León, who suffered an overwhelming 6-2 defeat at the hands of Chiapas.
- Chivas are at the bottom of the relegation table, and decided to part ways with their coach, Jose Manuel de la Torre to bring in Argentinian Matias Almeyda.
- Cruz Azul’s auwful season has them below everyone else in the general classification, something that had not happened since 2009.
What to look out for this weekend
UEFA Champions League
The top European club tournament officially begins today, with some big games on board:
- PSV vs Manchester United – Tuesday, September 15 at 2:45 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1/ESPN3
- Manchester City vs Juventus – Tuesday, September 15 at 2:45 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 2/ESPN Deportes
- AS Roma vs FC Barcelona – Wednesday, September 16 at 2:45 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1/Fox Deportes
UEFA Europa League
- Ajax vs Celtic – Thursday, September 17 at 1:00 p.m. ET on ESPN3
- Bordeaux vs Liverpool – Thursday, September 17 at 1:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1
Premier League: Chelsea vs Arsenal – Saturday, September 19 on NBCSN/NBC Universo at 7:45 a.m. ET.
La Liga: Real Madrid vs granada – Saturday, September 19 on beIN Sports/beIN Sports en español at 10:00 a.m. ET.
Bundesliga: Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen – Sunday, September 20 on Fox Sports 2 at 11:30 a.m. ET.
Serie A: Chievo Verona vs Inter Milan – Sunday, September 20 on beIN Sports/beIN Sports en español at 6:30 a.m. ET.
Ligue 1: Olympique Marseille vs Olympique Lyonnais – Sunday, September 20 on beIN Sports Connect at 3:00 p.m. ET.
MLS: Portland Timbers vs New York Red Bulls – Sunday, September 20 on ESPN/ESPN Deportes at 5:00 p.m. ET.
Liga MX: Tigres vs Monterrey – Saturday, September 19 on Univisión Deportes at 8:00 p.m ET.