Lewandowski on fire, Barcelona shocked and mixed feelings for Arsenal. This is what a new week left behind for our Soccer Insights:
|Manchester City||1-2||West Ham|
|Aston Villa||0-1||West Brom|
|Stoke City||2-2||Leicester City|
- Chelsea claimed victory in the North London Derby against Arsenal and seem to have recovered confidence towards the rest of the season. The Gunners ended the game down by two goals and two men.
- West Ham put and end to Manchester City’s unbeaten record. The Hammers have won in their visits to Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City. Now they’re targeting Chelsea and Manchester United.
- Manchester United came back from an early 2-0 to win their game against Southampton. Anthony Martial scored twice to complete three Premier League goals for United.
Capital One Cup
Arsenal had a bit of fresh air after their polemic fall against Chelsea by defeating big rivals Tottenham to qualify to the next round of the Capital One Cup. Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United also won, and Anthony Martial scored yet again to sum four goals in four games with the Red Devils.
|Celta de Vigo||4-1||Barcelona|
|Athletic Club||1-2||Real Madrid|
|Atlético de Madrid||2-0||Getafe|
|Real Betis||1-2||Deportivo de La Coruña|
|Rayo Vallecano||2-1||Sporting de Gijón|
|Granada CF||0-3||Real Sociedad|
|2||Celta de Vigo||13pts|
- Celta de Vigo surprised everyone, overwhelming FC Barcelona and defeating them by a 4-1 score.
- Real Madrid stepped up to the top of the league after defeating Athletic Club with a brace from Karim Benzema.
- This edition of La Liga has had one of the most battled starts from the last few years, with few points of difference between the top teams and others that are not used to feature so prominently.
|Bayern Munich||5-1||VFL Wolfsburg|
|B. Leverkusen||1-0||Mainz 05|
|B. Mönchengladbach||4-2||FC Augsburg|
|Ingolstadt 04||0-1||Hamburger SV|
|Hertha BSC||2-0||FC Köln|
|SV Darmstadt 98||2-1||Werder Bremen|
- Robert Lewandowski blown everyone away by scoring five goals in less than 10 minutes, breaking a lot of records and firing up the internet.
- Borussia Dortmund dropped their first points of the season, and also lost the first place to Bayern Munich.
- Stuttgart finally managed to win their first game of the season and left the relegation zone in hopes to never com back down.
|Inter Milan||1-0||Hellas Verona|
- Inter Milan have extended their perfect run to five games. Mauro Icardi scored a lonely goal to secure victory against Hellas Verona
- Francesco Totti hit the 300 goal mark with AS Roma last weekend. He’s one of the few players that have remained loyal to one club during his entire career.
- Juventus has only won one of five games, and despite a positive start in the Champions League, some are starting to feel worried about their local run.
- Javier Pastore, Angel Di Maria and Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored in Paris Saint-Germain’s 3-0 victory over Guingamp. The Parisian club still sits atop of the league.
- St. Etienne is just one pint behing PSG and are dreaming with claiming the first spot if the current leaders stumble at some point in the season.
- Montpellier has had an awful start, earning just one point from 21 played. They’re sunk in relegation zone along with Troyes and Ajaccio.
|Philadelphia Union||2-0||Houston Dynamo|
|D.C. United||1-2||Columbus Crew SC|
|New York City FC||3-2||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Vancouver Whitecaps||0-3||Seattle Sounders FC|
|Montreal Impact||3-0||New England Revolution|
|Chicago Fire||0-1||Orlando City SC|
|Real Salt Lake||3-0||LA Galaxy|
|Portland Timbers||0-2||New York Red Bulls|
|Sporting Kansas City||3-1||FC Dallas|
|Toronto FC||3-1||Colorado Rapids|
Thursday, September 24
|Montreal Impact||2-1||Chicago Fire|
|Houston Dynamo||1-0||Sporting Kansas City|
|1||NY Red Bulls||48pts|
|3||New England Revolution||46pts|
- Didier Drogba scored his fifth goal in four starts and helped extend Montreal Impact’s unbeaten run to five games.
- All of the three top teams from the Western Conference lost their respective games this week.
- LA Galacy have not won a single match in September, and the game against FC Dallas on Sunday will be their last chance to change that.
|Cruz Azul||2-1||Pumas UNAM|
- Monterrey fell to Tigres in the Clásico Regio despite being the ones to open the score. Rayados fell to the 12th place, while Tigres occupies the 4th position
- Cruz Azul and Chivas won their respective games and cut their negative streaks in the league.
- Santos Laguna, current title holders, went down to the bottom of the table after losing to Atlas.
What to look out for this weekend
Premier League: Tottenham vs Manchester City – Saturday, September 26 on NBCSN/NBC Universo at 7:45 a.m. ET.
La Liga: Real Madrid vs Málaga – Saturday, September 26 on beIN Sports/beIN Sports en español at 10:00 a.m. ET.
Bundesliga: Mainz 05 vs Bayern Munich – Saturday, September 26 on Fox Sports 2 at 9:30 a.m. ET.
Serie A: Inter Milan vs Fiorentina – Sunday, September 27 on beIN Sports at 2:45 p.m. ET.
Ligue 1: Nantes vs Paris Saint-Germain – Saturday, September 26 on beIN Sports Connect at 11:30 a.m. ET.
MLS: New York Red Bulls vs Orlando City SC – Friday, September 25 on Univisión Deportes at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Liga MX: América vs Chivas – Saturday, September 26 on Univisión Deportes at 6:00 p.m ET.
UEFA Champions League
- FC Barcelona vs Bayer Leverkusen – Tuesday, September 29 at 2:45 p.m. ET.
- Porto vs Chelsea – Tuesday, September 29 at 2:45 p.m. ET.
UEFA Europa League
- Monaco vs Tottenham – Thursday, October 1 at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Celtic vs Fenerbahçe – Thursday, October 1 at 3:05 p.m. ET.